Friday, June 19, 2009

Book Review - Why the Long Face? Stories

Why the Long Face? Stories
Ron MacLean
Swank Books
210 pages
Review Copy

Something happened to me while I was reading this book of short stories and I’m certain it will happen to you too. About half-way through the book I realized that MacLean is one of those rare authors who truly understand the human condition. His stories, while well constructed and tightly plotted, were not really about the narrative but about the people. MacLean’s characters are incredibly drawn; full, flawed and absolutely as real as you or I. They fill each story with reality and define what it means to be human. Some of the characters you’ll meet include Gertrude Stein, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, an immoral Mayor, an unfaithful husband whose mistress is the Internet, a man with a spike driven through his head and the curator of the Museum of Toast. The list of characters alone should drive you to purchase this book immediately.

For that reason alone I’ve given his book the rare 5 of 5 stars.

The Alternative
December 30th, 2009
Southeast Wisconsin

No comments: