Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Music Review – Carney – Mr. Green Volume 1

Carney 1

     Once in a great while a superb record crosses my path and I have to share my find. This year I’ve found two. Last month it was Anais Mitchell’s Hadestown. This month I present, Carney’s Mr. Green Volume 1. I have to admit, this album has it all; great vocals, wonderful guitar work, haunting harmonies, and excellent lyrics. The title track Mr. Green is Beatlesque in both feel and sound and isn’t even the best track on the disc. I’ll leave that choice to you. The rockabilly Amelie has great licks and Reeve Carney’s voice is an instrument in and of itself. There She Goes has a Queen-like feel to the harmonies and vocals. Think of You will appeal to the spiritual side of most listeners but can also instantly take you back to those melancholy days when you lost your first love (whether 4 or 40 years ago.) In the tradition of the Delta Blues Testify will stir your blood. You’ll be bobbing your head and tapping your toes right up until the time it spins down into a psychedelic swirl of guitars and vocals. I’ve enjoyed every song on this album and that is a rare thing indeed these days. Listen to Carney on iTunes and see if I’m not right. Then come back here and tell me how you feel about my pick for a breakout band. Mark my words, and I’ve said it here for the first time… Carney will be around for a very long time to come.

P.S. Reeve Carney is performing the lead role in U2’s Broadway musical Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark.

Track List

✓ Love Me Chase Me 4:55

✓ Tomorrow's Another Day 3:43

✓ Mr. Green 5:51

✓ Amelie 3:02

✓ There She Goes 3:05

✓ Nothing Without You 3:41

✓ Think of You 4:47

✓ Testify 7:55

✓ Lavender 3:06

 

Carney 2

Official Website: www.carneyband.com/

Myspace Website: www.myspace.com/carneytheband

No comments: